Tuesday 6 July 2021

Blackmagic... Intensifies

So the plus-side and the downside of clearing out storage boxes is you find all sorts of filmmaking projects and things that you forgot existed or thought were lost. I’ve unearthed a bunch of old old projects from the 90’s including the master tapes for a short film I made in college.  

Naturally I started thinking about what to do with them, and I had the idea that maybe, just maybe it would be possible to convert these old analogue formats over to digital and try doing a ‘directors cut’ with better grading etc.

So that led me down a rabbit hole of jerry rigging old VCRs and DV cameras to try and get the footage in via FireWire, and it worked, I can get these old analog tapes copied to MiniDV and then do a standard EEE 1394 cable transfer.  So far so good.

But then I started thinking what if there is a better way to do it?  One without the intermediate DV compression step?

So it turns out that Blackmagic make this Intensity Pro capture card which accepts analog inputs including S-Video which should (should) be cleaner than converting to DV using the cameras internal hardware.

My shiny new Intensity Pro 4k card arrived this morning.  Time to get out the toolkit and get it installed.

No comments:

Post a Comment